Saturday, November 12, 2016

A Quick Note About Unity

Hi, readers! I posted something on Facebook the night before last that was meant to encourage people in light of recent events and controversy. The thought just occurred to me that I can post it here, too, so here it is, copied and pasted:


I will never, ever apologize for being black, or being female, or having an opinion in spite of those things. I will never apologize for expecting to be treated with respect and decency. I will never apologize for the expectation that no one will touch my body without permission. The world is changing, and I'm not running scared.
On the other hand, I will try to give respect and love to everyone, even if we disagree on those fundamental principles. I will try to listen to other people's perspectives, and I will try to stay unified with my compatriots. It is the citizens that make a country great, and not the president. More importantly, God does it, and I need to pray.
I pray for all of you that you will not hang your head based on other people's prejudiced views of you, and that if you have prejudiced views (and I have some, I must admit), you will try to move past them. Reaching out to those who are different, to those who make us uncomfortable, and to those who challenge us, is a good way to promote unity.


I would love to hear your thoughts about this, too. Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment