Sunday, May 20, 2018

Scallywagathon TBR! Week of May 20, 2018

Ahoy!

It's been a while since I've updated here, and my reading has been a bit sporadic. This week, there is a readathon called Scallywagathon. Here's a link to the website with more info: https://sites.google.com/view/scallywagathon/challenges

This is a pirate themed readathon.

This month, I have challenged myself to only read books by authors who are either black or Asian American, or both. This is because my original plan at the beginning of this year was to make May one of four months in which I would do #Blackout2018, a mission to read only black authors. Here is my video about my 2018 reading goals, in which I explain this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAizZE563og&t=203s

However, I found out earlier this month that it is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, so I thought it would be cool to challenge myself to read both black authors and Asian American authors.

I haven't finished a book yet, and it's May 20, but I'm hopeful. Also, I'm making exceptions for digital ARCs that I already have, because I got really anxious in January when I tried to finish all my non-black-authored digital ARCs before February started. I didn't succeed at that, and I was sad. So, I'm trying to relax a little. I'm also not extending this rule to ARC requests this month. I can request any ARCs.

So, without further ado, here is my TBR. Note: Scallywagathon has many challenges, but they are on a treasure map, so you only have to choose a path with 4.

First, challenge #5: The first book in a series

IQ by Joe Ide OR Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan


Then, challenge #6: A book with a map in it

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir


Followed by challenge A: A standalone

The Beauty That Remains by Ashley Woodfolk

And finally, challenge #9, a book by a woman author, or #10, a book with a character who is different from you (me). Any one of these options can count for either challenge.

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

OR

The Final Six by Alexandra Monir

OR

Social Creature by Tara Isabella Burton


I'm hoping I'm not required to read these in order. Probably not, since it wasn't stated anywhere. I've already started IQ, The Beauty That Remains, When Dimple Met Rishi, and Social Creature (the last of which I've read only about 2-3 pages), but I've made a new rule for myself, at least this time, that I don't have to only start new books for a readathon. I can read books I've already started, if I've read less than 10% of them.

And you'll notice that I've mentioned Social Creature by Tara Isabella Burton. I meant to tell you earlier, but I was able to obtain this digital ARC toward the end of April, and I'm super excited, because this is my most anticipated book of the year!

So, I'm planning to do an update here soon. If you are participating in this readathon, please feel free to let me know what you are reading in the comments. Thanks for reading, and have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment